0213 Indoor Track State Champs
Hoover High School boy’s indoor track and field team after their state championship finish on Feb. 2.
The Hoover High School boy’s indoor track and field team took home state with a first place finish, and a second place finish for the girl’s, in a dramatic end to the meet at the Birmingham Crossplex on Feb. 2.
Marlon Humphrey came from behind in the 4 x 400-meter boys Class 6A relay to win with a split time of 47.02. Humphrey’s 48.11 time in the open 400-meter dash is second in the nation.
Four days later, it was announced that Head Track Coach Devon Hinds will be presented with the Mike Byrnes Coach of the Year Award by the National Scholastic Sports Foundation on March 10 at the New Balance Nationals.
Notable Hoover High School track athletes’ performances at the 2013 AHSAA Indoor Track Championships were:
- Boy’s 4 x 800-meter relay team of Jarrett Brown, JB Butler, Matthew Smith & Jonathan Harvey placed fourth.
- Boy’s 4 x 400-meter relay team of Matthew Smith, Charles Mosley, Brian Gonzalez and Marlon Humphrey placed first.
- Marlon Humphrey broke three individual state records, winning the 60 hurdles, 60 dash, 400 meter dash, all school records.
- Brittley Humphrey placed first, state and school record 8.75 in hurdles; Sarah Sanford, placed second.
- 4 x 200 relay, Anaya Baker, Gabby Morris, Asia Hart, Sarah Sanford, placed first.
- Brittley Humphrey broke varsity and freshman record in triple jump; 36’10”, placed third.
- Brittley Humphrey broke freshman long jump record going over 16’.
- Sydney Steely, Presley Weems, Caitlin Camper & Anna Leinheiser broke 4 x 800 school record running 9:47, placed second.
- Christian Bell placed third in shot put.
- Odus Smith placed fourth in high jump.
- Bradrick Shaw placed fourth in long jump.
- Darrell Williams placed seventh in triple jump.