1113 new playground
Assistant Principal Katie King cuts the ribbon for the new playground at Prince of Peace Catholic School in September.
Kindergarten and first-grade classes at Prince of Peace Catholic School in Hoover could hardly contain their excitement as they entered their new playground for the first time this fall.
Shortly after lunch, they waited patiently inside the school’s primary school wing for their teachers to open the door to a little bit of recess heaven.
They were warmly greeted by Fr. John Fallon and Assistant Principal Katie King as they stepped onto the cushioned playground surface. After gathering into a semicircle, Fallon spoke to them about the new playground and blessed it.
As soon as King cut the ceremonial ribbon, students shrieked with delight and bolted to the swings, slides and free play areas.
Turning the previously hilly and boulder-strewn area behind the church and school into a safe, fun space took about two months. The land was graded and terraced into two distinct play areas. Two retaining walls were built, and security fencing and a rubberized playground surface were installed.
The $100,000 project was a joint effort of the Prince of Peace Catholic School, Church and PTO.
The school has three other playgrounds – a large outdoor one which serves the second through eighth grades, an interior atrium area for the preschool, and a separate outdoor one for the Adventure Ark playschool.