Reader opinion: School officials should consider lessons taught with in-person graduation during pandemic

Good call Hoover Schools

I'm happy to see this graduation continue and proud of our community leaders for making this hard but correct decision. Time to get back to normal. Is there a risk? Absolutely, and if anyone feels the risk is to great, stay home and don't let your kid go.

Beau Bree 126 days ago

Please listen to this person. There is no reason to endanger others in the community when you can have a virtual graduation.

Please listen to this person. There is no need to endanger other citizens when this virus is so rampant when there are other ways, like a virtual celebration.

Kam Wiggins 126 days ago

Well said and reasoned

Well said and reasoned, which probably means it will be lost on Hover School Superintendent Murphy.

Barry V. frederick 126 days ago

I Agree with Murphy

Anthony's letter inspired me to send a letter of my own to Superintendent Murphy; I believe my letter engenders the sentiment of the silent majority in Hoover, but I am happy to let other speak for themselves of course. Here is my letter...

Greetings Superintendent Murphy, I trust this email finds you well. I wanted to contact you to let you know that I fully support the controversial decision to continue with the high school graduation. I do not have a senior graduating this year, but if I did, I know we would want to celebrate that important achievement with him; it is an important milestone that no child who has earned it should be denied. By holding the graduation ceremony, we are teaching our children the value of freedom; some may choose not to attend for their own reasons – they are free to do so; but I suspect most would choose to participate – they are free to do so. The measures you have in place are more than sufficient, and those at risk can act accordingly. Thank you for helping us support our children’s achievements by holding steady on this time honored tradition!!

Paul Wenter, Hoover Resident {4 kids} 126 days ago

Well Said

Silent majority? Yes, absolutely. I, too, believe that the vast majority of Hoover is in favor of this.
Speak up folks or the "few" will determine our future.

Beau Bree 124 days ago

If not now, when?

I get it! But then I don't. It seems that this viral threat has debilitated our national mindset into changing the way we live and address life. What does that teach our children? To cower in fear at every threat they face as days go by? Or do we teach them that life can go on, but with a slight change for now. My wife and son almost lost me exactly one year ago to hereditary heart disease. I am being a responsible person to them by being cautious in this time. BUT, I'm not going to ask every other citizen of our community to give up the memories that a lot of us older people hold dear. Even though I didn't really like high school and barely made it out, I recently thought of the accomplishment and the graduation ceremony with fondness - especially as I try to guide my son towards a high school diploma. My graduation in 1986 was the last held on the field of Finley Stadium at W. A. Berry High School. For the next 7 years, the ceremony was move to a neighboring church because we were a bit unruly - doing the wave, giving marbles one-by-one to the principal as we were handed our diploma, and I think there were a couple of tall boys popped open in the back rows. I love having that memory.

But, if we cower to the virus as a community and forego the many memories that would be generated, what are we really teaching our children. I would say that we will be validating a fear of death that debilitates them and their future. Anxiety is already prevalent enough with our younger generations. Won't we be contributing to it being a larger part of the foundation of their mental health? Where does that put us as a people? Yes, the virus is a real problem, but so is heart disease, cancer, traffic accidents, drug addiction and a plethora of other conditions that ultimately end in death. Heck, life ends in death no matter which way you put it. It's something that we accept and then move on to live life the best we can before it happens. It's what makes human beings such a special creature on this earth. Why would we want to have this new generation of adults so afraid of death that they can't live life?

There is personal choice. Students and families can decide on their own if they want to attend the ceremony. But I feel if we negate the whole ceremony we are not considering the whole picture of the life on this earth and what it means to live a full life before the ultimate end. It's obvious the city school district is providing as many precautions as possible for those that do attend. And having moved back into Hoover the past 5 years and my son attending high school in the system, I have been really impressed with the overall operation to a point I trust they are considering the lives of every student and family member as they move forward with this brave decision.

TH 126 days ago

Yes, yes, yes

My thoughts exactly. I'm retired military and I'm baffled by how quickly people are willing to give up a basic freedom because of fear. The things we did as children, that we considered normal, would get us locked up in the loony-bin nowadays.

Beau Bree 124 days ago

Well said. I pray they opt to do something that alleviates the risk an in-person ceremony (PLUS guests) creates.

Sara Johnson 127 days ago

Hoover Graduation

I agree with Anthony. As a fellow 2000 alum of Hoover and a fellow NYC teacher who has experienced this virus ravage his Brooklyn community first hand. Having lost colleagues and seen students lose family members, I am extremely disappointed in the message you are sending to Hoover students in this blatantly selfish action.

Brandon Triola 127 days ago

Message

The message being sent to students? What? Good grief, so tired of folks trying to socially shame others in an effort to make them conform (liberalism). This is America, choice and free will.
BTW, just because your a fellow alum of Hoover 20 yrs ago doesn't give you any standing equal or higher than those of us who currently live, thrive, contribute and pay taxes in Hoover. I'm mean, how self absorbed would I be if I (a Hoover resident) thought I had any right to tell you (a NYC resident) what your social policy should be. Get over yourself.

Beau Bree 126 days ago