UAB Medical West to relocate hospital to McCalla, not Hoover

Sunshine Laws

Mr. Kadish,

In your replies, you mentioned that every member of the city council was aware of the proposal and attended at least one meeting where the proposal was discussed. Given the circumstances of the proposal and the fact that the council held formal meetings where said proposal was discussed, this means that the city was bound to a formal response. This would be in the form of a formal resolution, or at the very least a formal letter rejecting the proposal. A resolution could not be entertained until the next regular or called council meeting. A formal letter could have been sent on Friday, but based on your replies I gather than this did not occur. To further muddy the waters, Walsh's infamous tweet quoted Smith as saying that there was not sufficient support for the $20 million incentive, implying deliberation. The closest case study I can find is the SoccerX proposal from around a year ago. The city called a special meeting to consider a resolution that would provide funding for the proposal. The council did not adopt the resolution and SoccerX received a formal answer to their proposal. UAB and Broad Metro were not afforded the same due process. I hate to say it, but there's some serious open meeting act concerns here and our city leaders should know better. If I had lost millions due to a tweet backed up by the word of two council members, I would have some questions that I would want answered immediately.

HVR_Attny 18 days ago

Secrecy

Mr. Kadish, can you explain why this project was kept a secret for so long? If the city council and the major knew about it over a year ago, why not come out with it? The longer it was kept a secret, the longer you gave the opposition the ability to mess it up. You also kept your shopping center a secret. Why? Before blaming the liberal media, maybe blaming all those who kept this a secret, including yourself, would be a good place to start.

Restless in Trace Crossings 19 days ago

Hoover UAB

We are a small oart and UAB still has to get its Certificate of Need. It was important that they not get ahead of themselves becuase the regulations could hold them to any mistep. We respected UAB's wishes as did the Mayor who needed to fight with both hands ties behind his backs. When you see their campus plans with jogging and bicycle paths and dense wooded areas you will know what they planned was a shangra lla for wellness comfort and open space. We wnated to show the plans, but were not allowed to becuase UAB reserved the right to change them until the Certificate of need application is filed.They wanted and needed that flexibillity and when they say jump U say how high. I believe that the liber and corrupt Hoover Sun will shut me down soon. If you want more information please see an upcoming message update to be posted soon to iur web site Broadmetro.com .

will Kadish 19 days ago

Needs a second look

I hope there is a follow up story done by someone on this deal. Posey said for days that it was not a done deal, and Mr. Kadish confirmed that this was true. Middlebrooks said that he had not fully formed an opinion when Walsh tweeted that the deal was dead per Lyda. Greene and Murphy have remained silent-can't say I blame them given the circumstances-but as city officials we need their statements. Now we're hearing that Smith agreed to the $20 million at some point in time prior to the rest of the council having the opportunity to weigh in on the issue. Conventional wisdom says to let this go, but as a long time resident, I expect more than a tweet from a reporter claiming that the a $400 million dollar project is dead. Where's the press conference, formal vote or formal statement? I'm not going to fault the Hoover Sun because this story followed the tweet by Walsh-which 3340 needs to explain, but someone in the media has got to investigate this for the people of Hoover. The tweet in question quoted Smith as saying that Hoover would not offer $20 million but would be open to negotiation-which Kadish verified was in progress-followed by the statement that Lyda confirmed the deal was dead. If Lyda used Walsh to kill this deal, he needs to resign. This is inexcusable behavior.

Pete 19 days ago

Pete

100% agree with Pete. There's far more to this story and it goes all the way back to June when I first heard about Lyda's remarks that he would "shut this down" at Jimmie's watch party. Days later, I see him on Fox6 being interviewed about the project. Ridiculous behavior for a man who is supposed to represent Hoover. It's obvious that he's unhappy this term which I can't understand because this council seems willing to debate and review every issue before making a snap decision, unlike the last group and the $80 million dollar blue barn. I will admit that I do not know Mr. Kadish, but his comments have been in line with those of Middlebrooks and Posey, who have shown that they are not afraid to share their views with the people. His comments also reference items shared by Mike Shaw who while opposed to the deal, did take the time to share his views in a logical manner (not running to a favorable reporter to push his agenda via the media). As Pete said, we elected the mayor and council to handle these types of decisions, not Lauren Walsh. We need to know the entire story.

BP resident 19 days ago

Mr. Kadish

Mr. Kadish,

We have never met, but I know you're the developer behind the hospital project. A lot's been said over the last few days, but there's a question I've got that I hope you'll answer. Now, a buddy of mine is a member of the city council, and he told me this morning that he found out about the end of the deal from Lauren Walsh and not the head of the council. Walsh is the reporter that broke the story on social media. He said the council was talking with you to lower the price as late as Friday morning, and that there was no deadline for a final decision from UAB. So here's the question Mr. Kadish-were you notified by the council that the deal was off, or did you also learn the news from Walsh? While I think it is fair to say that Mr. Pennington and UAB have spoken and selected McCalla over Hoover, I just can wrap my head around why this news was not delivered in a press conference or meeting of the minds. Walsh is not a member of the council and everyone around town knows she is good buddies with Lyda. Something's not right here. It's clear that this deal was a huge political mess, and that Lyda went out of his way to try and kill it for some reason. If there was a conversation between you and the council when Walsh posted on social media, then the deal wasn't done. I want to know what Walsh went ahead with this message if it wasn't crystal clear that it was fact.

Doc B 20 days ago

Lyda

You are correct that it was an inside deal to kill the Hospital and Lyda lied to everyone and the=at the neither liberal Hoover Sun nor Al.com nor Ms. Walsh asked me, Jimmy Stevens carries a lot of political weight and Lyda is a Political animal without a conscience who sold Hoover down the river for a deal to get the Hospital to go to McCalla where Jimmy Stevens wanted it. UAB is a great corporate Citizen and would have brought Hoover to the pinnacle as the greatest City in the land. I still love your great city, but it is clear that Gene Smith Lyda Shaw killed it after I offered to assign my contract to UAB for free. Once they found out that they couldn't hide behind the $20 million incentive denial and that the 12 Million required would be infrastructure only i.e. new roads out of trace cross crossings and needed infrastructure, they let loose the false announcement to Ms. Walsh. We are heartbroken and I am presently uneasy about building a new home in Hoover. I love your City and truly tried to do my best on the Hospital. Shaw new about the detailed traffic plans and Darrel Skipper met with all of the councilmen at my expense to painstakingly review his anayilais. Mark Gonzalez showed up on his birthday as di all of my professional to address the Lyda show chuck full of a false facts from the Lyda power point. What more can I say. It is the truth. We spared no expense and gave with a full heart. Lyda and Smith both voted for the Finley Center yet killed the marvel of a UAB World Class Hospital. Sorry my friend, but it was a disgrace. As is the Hoover Sun and Al.com

will kadish 20 days ago

Thank you Mr. Kadish

Sounds like you did all you could to make the deal work Mr. Kadish, and you have my gratitude for your efforts. Please don't judge the entire city on the "character" that is John Lyda. This is just another page in a book filled with destructive maneuvers that have hurt our city. He started this term by railroading-not once but twice-a thriving arts center in my neighborhood Bluff Park. He followed that up by spreading rumors about a secret plan to raise taxes that thankfully, the better members of our council cleaned up. Then, when the 1/2 cent was passed, he said that it was unneeded and voted against a budget that added more firemen and police officers, and now he killed the last chance we had at a hospital in Hoover. I'm sure the sheep that elected him the first time will make sure that he makes it to Montgomery. The other two aren't really bad guys, but for some reason, they think riding Lyda's coattails helps ensure that they will stay in office. I hate to tell them but they have lost a ton of supporters in BP and this stunt only added to their issues come 2020. I hope you keep investing in Hoover despite this issue and can see that this is a city of good people who are looking for something better than what became of this deal. As for the county, all you need to know is that without Hoover, Vestavia and Mountain Brook's tax dollars, they would be bankrupt. They have done nothing to bring ecomonic development to the cities who contribute the most to their coffers, and they never will. Think they called Hoover to see if we had land for that Amazon center. Nope, but they will gladly put the $50+ million bill in our laps. Keep fighting the good fight Mr. Kadish.

BP resident 19 days ago

Hoover UAB Hospital

Thank you.It means a lot.

will kadish 19 days ago

UAB Medical West

Broad Metro LLC is the Developer and the is in contract to purchase the 125 acres adjacent to Stadium Trace Village where the UAB Med West Hospital was to be built. In cooperation with the City Leader UAB had offered to assign its rights to UAB Med West for Free, Will Kadish Director of Development is now a Hoover Resident and is supervising Stadium Trace Village Phase oN and what was to be Phase 2. The Hoover Sun and Jon Anderson as well as Al.com which are for the most part very liberal, regionalist and are in league with Jon Lyda and provided no opportunity for the Developer to opine despite our having an all Alabama PR Lobbyist Engineering Traffic Engineering and Project Management and Contractor team. Jon Lyda had no intention of voting for the World Class Hospital Plans because he and County Commissioner Jimmy Stephens were aligned for the project to go to McCalla. In face a deal was cut so that Lyda could run for Stephens high salary Commission seat when Stephens will step down early in two years. Blue Cross and Blue Shield would have had to approve the deal and it is a wonder that Lyda did not recuse himself from the Hospital considerations.

So many falsehoods were spread by Lyda and repeated by a very small group of supposed Trace Cross residents as well as Bessemer resident invited by Lyda. Albeit the Bessemer residents were the most civil. The facts remain that detailed Traffic analysis plans were provided by Darrel Skipper engineering whose reputation for the most thoughtful traffic planning in the state is beyond question. He personally stayed to the end of the residents meeting answering every question and providing his report that had already been review individually with each and every Councilman. t protect residents is unquestioned. As to Councilman Shaw he has consistently voted with Lyda on all matter in the past including the Finley Center and while he can appear reasonable he was entirely inaccurate in denying the existence of the two year painstakingly detailed Skipper Traffic Engineering Study that addressed all concerns. Furthermore UAB Med West had carefully designed after features to slow down streams that had in prior years brought sediment to Scout Lake and to lower the profile of buildings as they neared I459 bordered neighborhoods and to provide dense forest boundaries with wide conservation easements so that no additional sound beyond the existing I459 would be heard. The breathtaking campus with wooded bilking trails and serene walking paths will hopefully one day be revealed and the residents will understand the good faith efforts of many of the Council Members and the Mayor as well as Allan Rice. Broad metro LLC has remained available for comment however both Hoover Sun and Al.Com are left leaning and refused to afford our positions and generosity to the City and the UAB Hospital project to be known. UAB is a great corporate citizen and we wish them and McCalla the best.

Will Kdish 20 days ago

Hoover UAB Hospital

Shaw has indeed supported and voted with every Lyda vote. He was not yet elected when Gene Smoth and Jon Lyda voted for the Finley center funding which caries a $3 million deficit annually. Albeit Shaw was against the Hospital and similarly lied as to the the Traffic Study which he was keenly aware of. None are fiscal conservatives and all were in league to rush out a statement when they neared that Broad Metro was willing to assign its rights to UAB for free. They instead chose to renew on their prior agreement and destroy the possibility of a World Class Hospital for Hoover so that they would be in the good graces of County Commissioner Jimmy Stevens.

will Kadish 20 days ago

Rushed Statement

Ok, I'm confused. Are you saying that you were going to give UAB the land for free with no $20 million incentive and Smith, Shaw and Lyda said NO?????? What about the other four members of the council? This council is famous for 4-3 votes. Why did no one speak up? This has to be the single dumbest decision in the history of the city. The three that botched and prevented a vote should resign. Instead of letting it go to a vote, they used a reporter to kill the deal.

BP resident 20 days ago

Hover UAB Hospital

I could not offer them all of the land for free, but did offer to assign my contract to purchase phase two for free and to allow them to enjoy all of the roads that I built and infrastructure for free. While the City had reneged on the $20 million incentive that Gene Smith had originally agreed to, UAB remained intrigued and was considering the offer before Gene Smith made his unfortunate announcement killing the deal. The parties who acted reasonably and responsibly were Derick Murphy, Curt Possey and Casey Middlebrows. These are normal hard working sincere people who love the City Hoover as does Mayor Brocato and Allan Rice who were hard working thoughtful and honest champions for Hoover. The others were also provided with extensive meetings with and enjoyed thorough presentations from our best in the State of Alabama Traffic Engineer Darrel Skipper and the best and largest private engineer in the State of Alabama Mark Gonzalez. They understood the issues and proceeded to lie to the public and create discord. It broke my heart and I feel awful for the Mayor and the good people of Hoover who were represented by fake news and a Lyda attempted antifa scene where he brought at least 15 people from Bessemer to the Trace Crossings residents meeting. I was challenged to a fight by a person twice my size who didn't understand that World class doctors, medical researchers and their staff would be lured to Hoover and that nay supply and demand the value of existing homes would rise. I am a trained boxer and not afraid, just very saddened because of all of the hard work. Also, I think that Hoover is my favorite place on earth and it was heartbreaking. I suspect that this paper will take down my response soon. We will continue to work hard to bring Hoover tenants that they can be proud of. My website is Broadmetro.com

will Kadish 19 days ago

Hoover UAB Hospital

Shaw would have granted $100 million if it was one of his favorites and even though he wasn't around for Finley he would have. I offer UAB an assignment of my contract to purchase all 125 acre in phase two plus an additional 23 acres and to allow them to enjoy all of the roads that I built and infrastructure for free. There was not profit and my only upside was that it would undoubtedly increase retail sales for phase one new to hoover retailers planned for Stadium Trace Village.While the City had reneged on the $20 million incentive that Gene Smith had originally agreed to, UAB remained "intrigued" by our generous attempt to save the day, and was considering the offer before Gene Smith made his unfortunate announcement killing the deal. The parties who acted reasonably and responsibly were Derick Murphy, Curt Possey and Casey Middlebrows. These are normal hard working sincere people who love the City Hoover as does Mayor Brocato and Allan Rice who were hard working thoughtful and honest champions for Hoover. The others were also provided with extensive meetings with and enjoyed thorough presentations from our best in the State of Alabama Traffic Engineer Darrel Skipper and the best and largest private engineer in the State of Alabama Mark Gonzalez. They understood the issues and proceeded to lie to the public and create discord. It broke my heart and I feel awful for the Mayor and the good people of Hoover who were represented by fake news and a Lyda attempted antifa scene where he brought at least 15 people from Bessemer to the Trace Crossings residents meeting. I was challenged to a fight by a person twice my size who didn't understand that World class doctors, medical researchers and their staff would be lured to Hoover and that nay supply and demand the value of existing homes would rise. I am a trained boxer and not afraid, just very saddened because of all of the hard work. Also, I think that Hoover is my favorite place on earth and it was heartbreaking. I suspect that this paper will take down my response soon. We will continue to work hard to bring Hoover tenants that they can be proud of. If The Hoover Sun ceases to publish my replies I plan to issue statements through my website Broadmetro.com

Will Kadish 19 days ago

Hoover UAB Hospital

Hoover Sun shut down my comments. Please know that normal people like Curt Possey, Cassey Middlebooks and Derrick Murphy as well as Mayor Brocato did speak up. The Hoover Sun is beholding to Lyda

will Kadish 19 days ago