1 of 4
Winter Storm Leon shades Crest Oxmoor
South Shades Crest and West Oxmoor were impassable as of 10 a.m.
2 of 4
Winter Storm Leon 280
U.S. 280 at 9 a.m.
3 of 4
Winter Storm Leon Cahaba Road
Cahaba Road in Mountain Brook is blocked by a nine-car accident.
4 of 4
Winter Storm Leon I-65 South
I-65 South at 8 a.m.
11 a.m. — Though some of these reports are unconfirmed, here is everything we’ve been able to gather about traffic on major thoroughfares in the greater Birmingham area. Emergency services are deployed throughout all areas providing aid. If you need help, stop someone.
Some of these roads might not apply to you, but because we aren’t sure where you or your loved ones might be, we’re including them all. Reports we have not been able to confirm are labeled.
"We're still in the same posture," Mayor Garey Ivey said. "We don't have any roads closed, but they're still very dangerous — especially in the neighborhoods."
This story will be updated as condition changes are confirmed.
• All county roads in Shelby County are closed.
• I-65 South is moving.
• I-65 North is moving one lane from I-459 to U.S. 31. After U.S. 31, it opens up to two and three lanes.
• I-459 is moving both northbound and southbound.
• Roads leading to Hoover City Schools are being sanded, but passable roads have not been released.
• Shades Crest Road/West Oxmoor from Homewood to Bluff Park is impassable (up the hill).
• Roads throughout Hoover neighborhoods are frozen. These are not top priority for authorities at this time.
• U.S. 31 traffic moving slowly through Hoover south of Patton Chapel Road. Responders have been dispatched to a wreck at the Patton Chapel intersection.
• U.S. 31 Southbound is not moving in Vestavia Hills past Brookwood (up the hill).
• Alabama 150 is moving slowly, but icy conditions are to be considered severe.
• U.S. 31 between Hoover and Pelham has been sanded. Conditions are improving.
• Riverchase Office Circle is totally blocked by wrecked and abandoned vehicles. Totally impassable.
• Sulphur Springs Road is impassable past Atkins Trimm Boulevard to Grove Boulevard.
• Riverchase Parkway East is passable to U.S. 31
• Columbiana Road South from Homewood is not moving. (Unconfirmed)
• Lakeshore Road is moving in the Brookwood area, but is not moving at the I-65 junction.
• Cahaba Road in Mountain Brook is blocked between English Village and Mountain Brook Village.
• Mountain Brook is impassable for most vehicles due to ice.
• U.S. 280 through Mountain Brook is moving, but only one “lane.” Road condition is abysmal. One lane on both sides in some spots, and people are driving across the medians into oncoming traffic to get around abandoned cars.
• Shades Crest Road and Rocky Ridge Road in Vestavia Hills are passable, but road conditions are poor.