Photo courtesy of Hoover City Schools
Hoover City Schools’ vote to cut its bus system was back under scrutiny at a public budget hearing on Sept. 5. Local parents were present once again to voice opposition to the plan and hear from board members about the alternatives being considered by Hoover City Schools.
The decision to eliminate transportation was originally made in July in response to increasing budget deficits, and the board suggests the move could save the school system $2.5 million per year. Nonetheless, it has met continued resistance from parents, many of whom argue they cannot get their children to school without the buses. The board has previously held several public meetings to discuss these concerns and alternate solutions, but has yet to reach a result that is mutually satisfying.
The budget hearing did not produce any new solutions, but parents were encouraged to hear the board was still looking at alternatives to entirely discarding the bus system. Superintendent Andy Craig noted that the district’s geography made the transportation problem more challenging, but the board was considering the feasibility of a fee-based program using its current bus fleet or an agreement with a private company to provide third-party transportation.
Board members said they will continue to consider the transportation problem as they prepare the 2013-2014 budget and plan to present their options to parents in the near future.
"You're going to hear something soon," Board member Earl Cooper said.