Photo by Katie Turpen.
Hoover City Council
Tonight, the city council read several proclamations. The first was for National Disability Employment Awareness Month.
Held each October, National Disability Employment Awareness Month is a national campaign that raises awareness about disability employment issues and celebrates the many and varied contributions of America's workers with disabilities. The theme for 2014 is "Expect. Employ. Empower."
The second proclamation was the Jumpstart's Read for the Record Day. Jumpstart is a national early education organization that recruits and trains college students and community Corps members to serve preschool children in low-income neighborhoods.
In other news, the council:
- Made appointments to the Planning and Zoning Commission and Beautification Board.
- Was presented a book about Hoover from author Heather Skaggs.
- Held a public hearing regarding abatement of public nuisances due to weeds/grass on properties located at 3447 Loch Ridge Trail and 3515 Lornaridge Drive.
- Authorized an agreement with Computer Sciences Corporation related to the purchase of new risk management software.
- Extended cable franchise with Marcus Cable of Alabama, LLC d/b/a Charter Communications.
- Set public hearing for Monday, Nov. 17 to consider the adoption of 2015 International Codes, 2014 National Electric Code and Alabama Energy and Residential Code by reference, with proposed modifications.
- Had the first reading of Renew Franchise Agreement with Access Fiber Group, Inc. and authorized amendment to Franchise Agreement. Second reading and consideration for adoption scheduled for Monday, Nov. 3.
- Approved ABC Application for Urth Group Inc. for 020 Restaurant Retail Liquor at Stix Restaurant, 3250 Galleria Circle. This is due to a change in ownership on a previously approved site.
- Held public hearing to consider the request of Zuo Chao Li for Conditional Use approval to allow the sale of Restaurant Retail Liquor at China Bistro located at 160 Main St., Ste. 140 in Patton Creek Shopping Center. This property is owned by Patton Creek Holdings, LLC and is zoned C-2 Community Business District.
- Set public hearing for Monday, Nov. 17 to consider the following request: Pastor Chris Peters, Cross Creek Church, is requesting conditional use approval for property located at 5225 Ross Bridge Parkway to be used for the new site of Cross Creek Church. This property is owned by Mr. Charles Diggs and Deer Valley Partners, LLC.
The next council meeting will be Monday, Nov. 3 at 6 p.m. at Hoover City Hall.