Photo by Katie Turpen.
Hoover City Council
The Hoover City Council at a recent meeting.
The Hoover City Council on Monday, April 20, will consider a resolution authorizing Mayor Gary Ivey to enter a contract to purchase the old Berry High School property, 2826 Columbiana Road, from the Hoover Board of Education.
Resolution No. 5256-15, which the council has been recommended to approve, does not say what the city plans to do with the property. Council member John Lyda stated that the city will consider using the location for athletic fields.
The old Berry High School closed nearly two decades ago. The campus later served as Berry Middle School and Crossroads School. A new school named Berry Middle currently is located near Spain Park High School.
Also on the April 20 agenda is the appointment for the Hoover Board of Education position being vacated in June by current board president Donna Frazier. The city council on April 6 interviewed 15 candidates who applied for the school board opening.
Here are other items on the agenda:
- Resolution No. 5252-15 – Authorize Memorandum of Agreement between the Alabama Law Enforcement Agency and the City of Hoover regarding disbursement of funds for the High Intensity Drug Trafficking Area (HIDTA) program. Motion to approve.
- Resolution No. 5253-15 – Extend cable franchise with Marcus Cable of Alabama, LLC d/b/a Charter Communications. Motion to approve.
- Resolution No. 5254-15 – Authorize Mayor to execute Letter of Consent for a change in control for Access Fiber Group, Inc., in accordance with the City’s Fiber Optic Franchise Agreement with AFG, Inc. Motion to approve.
- Resolution No. 5255-15 – Acceptance of public improvements in the Highland Meadows subdivision. Motion to Approve.
- Resolution No. 5256-15 – Authorize Mayor to execute a real estate sales contract with the Hoover Board of Education for the purchase of property known as “Old Berry High School” located at 2826 Columbiana Road. Motion to approve.
- Second Reading Ord. No. 15-2273 – Annual Tax Levy. Motion to adopt. Roll call vote. 12. Public Hearing to consider the request of Tremayne & Karen Thompson for conditional use approval to allow live entertainment and the sale of restaurant retail liquor at Perfect Note to be located at 1845 Montgomery Highway, Ste. 201. This property is owned by Folmar & Associates and is zoned PC Planned Commercial. (PZ Case #C-0415-08). Motion to approve.
- Motion to approve ABC Application for TK Productions Events, LLC.
- Set public hearing for Monday, May 18, 2015 at 6:00 p.m. to consider the following request which comes forward with a positive recommendation from the 4/13/15 Planning and Zoning Commission meeting: SB Development Corporation d/b/a/ Signature Homes is requesting Conditional Use approval to allow a Common Area Park to be located in Magnolia Grove Phase I on lot CA-4 at 1100 Magnolia Run. The property is owned by SB Development Corporation d/b/a Signature Homes and is zoned PUD PR- 1 Planned Single Family District. (PZ Case #C-0415-09)