Photo by Katie Turpen
Hoover City Council
Deena Agee speaks to the council on Dyslexia awareness.
During Monday night's meeting, the city council read a proclamation declaring October Dyslexia Awareness Month for the city of Hoover.
According to the International Dyslexia Association, 1 in 10 people have symptoms of dyslexia, including slow or inaccurate reading, poor spelling, poor writing or mixing up similar words. Dyslexia is a language-based learning disability.
"It's important to identify symptoms in students early on and educate them in the proper way," said speaker Deena Agee. "We are thankful for Hoover supporting this proclamation."
In other news, the council:
- Declared October Pro Bono month
- Approved the Inverness Sanitary Sewer System rehab project.
- Authorized the mayor to execute a non-reimbursable utility relocation agreement with AT&T for intersection improvements on the South Shades Crest Road & Eden Ridge Drive project.
- Authorized the mayor to execute an agreement with Gonzalez-Strength & Associates, Inc. for construction engineering & inspection services for ALDOT project regarding the resurfacing of Hugh Daniel Drive.
- Accepted resolutions for public improvements for Chace Lake subdivision and the Stone Brook Terrace subdivision
- Approved ABC application for Yarbrough Festival Food Service, Inc. for the Moss Rock Festival to be held on 11/1/14 – 11/2/14.
- Authorized the mayor to execute Amendment No. 1 to contract with the Jefferson County office of senior citizens services.
- Approved ABC application for LCS Danberry Operations, 235 Inverness Center Drive.
- Held a public hearing to consider the request of Mr. John Mount, representing Aldersgate United Methodist Church, for conditional use approval on property located at 3100 Ross Bridge Parkway to be used for the new site of Aldersgate United Methodist Church.
- Held a public hearing to consider the request of Hoover to rezone the following recently annexed properties to Hoover R-1 Single Family District: 2180 Chapel Hill Road, owned by Megan E. McCullough. Rezone from Jefferson County R-1 Single Family to Hoover R-1 Single Family District. 812 LaBelle Lane, owned by Luther & Hazel Whittle. Rezone from Jefferson County A-1 Agriculture to Hoover R-1 Single Family District.