Image by Keith McCoy
Car tag renewal, maybe more could be coming to Hoover Met
This is not an official State of Alabama license plate. For illustrative purposes only.
On Monday, May 5, the Hoover City Council will consider becoming the second Jefferson County city to offer vehicle registration renewals. The ordinance Council members could vote on would approve Mayor Gary Ivey to enter into an agreement with Shelby County company Ingenuity, Inc. to run the program out of the Hoover Metropolitan Complex.
But before the Council had voted, Ivey had already called State Rep. Paul DeMarco and suggested the city take things a step farther.
“I’ve actually reached out to the State today and asked that they use us as a pilot program,” Ivey said Friday, May 2. “I want to make it something similar to the Shelby County License Office in Inverness Corners.”
Ivey said his ultimate goal is to not only offer renewals out of the Hoover Met but also issue vehicle registrations, drivers’ licenses, and boat and motorcycle registrations.
“I want it to do everything the courthouse can do,” he said.
While that idea circulates, Jefferson County Hoover residents can anticipate being able to renew registrations at the Met as soon as next month. The target start date, Ivey said, is June 1.
Only Hoover residents will be able to renew their vehicle tags at the Met. The vehicle must already be registered in Alabama in the name of the current owner. Newly acquired vehicles that are being transferred to or registered to the new owner for the first time will still require going in person to the Jefferson County Courthouse.
According to the ordinance that will go before the Council next week, Ingenuity, Inc. would be hired to “provide, implement, maintain and host” the renewal program. Ingenuity President Rick Hayes said the details of the agreement would be worked out in the coming weeks, but residents should expect the renewal process to be familiar.
“You’ll come in and provide your information and we’ll say, ‘Here’s your receipt and your registration,'” Hayes said.
Hayes said some residents might be asked to validate information, so residents should have their previous year’s renewal receipt or the current year Jefferson County renewal notice with them as well as proof of residence, insurance and current identification.
The agreement with Ingenuity includes that the company – not the City – will staff and operate the office. Residents who renew in Hoover will be charged a $5 issuance fee, of which 90 percent would go to Ingenuity. The remaining 10 percent would be used to maintain the facility, Ivey said, adding that outsourcing the program would prevent the City from having to plan for possible staffing changes that might come from upgrading the facility to a courthouse annex in the future.
Ivey also said using Ingenuity leaves the City with virtually no overhead for the program.
“Where we’re putting it, we’ve already got the lights on everyday,” Ivey said. “And the $5 fee is reasonable for something that will improve the quality of life for our residents.”
Hoover is able to issue renewals following a law signed by Governor Bentley in February. The legislation, sponsored by DeMarco, allows any city in Jefferson County to take part in motor vehicle registration renewal, including the issuance of license plates.
Vestavia Hills was the first Jefferson County municipality to take on the task. The City launched its program in April, and the response has been favorable.
The Council is scheduled to vote on the ordinance during its regular meeting, scheduled for Monday, May 4 at 6 p.m. at the Hoover Municipal Center.
For more, visit hooveral.org.